Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Serene verses

I am not such a big fan of Robert Frost's poems. But I read his masterpiece, the "Stopping by woods on a snowy evening" long back when I was in school. Today I remember every single word of that poem verbatim. It is said to have inspired many people.

The true brilliance in the poem lies in a way that Mr. Frost has described one of the most indisputable morals in life in the most simplistic manner. Whenever I recall these words, I somehow grieve over my lethargy and irresponsible behavior.

The poem is quite famous among all other poems by Robert Frost, and I am sure lots of people might already be familiar with the lines. But still I am posting it for all those, from whom these lines escaped earlier.


Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening

Whose woods are these I think I know
His house is in the village though
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow

My little horse must think it's queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake
The only other sound, the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake

These woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep

- Robert Frost



This second one is not as popular as the above poem. But I liked it nevertheless. It is a mere two lines poem. But again I am awestruck by the simplistic composition.


The Secret Sits

We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.

No comments: